- Use a decontamination solution (such as RadiacWash or IsoClean) or a strong detergent to clean up the area with paper towels. For some radionuclides, a portable survey instrument may be helpful in narrowing down areas of contamination.
- When wiping the area with the paper towels, be sure to wipe from the outside to inside in order to prevent spreading the contamination.
- Dispose of all clean-up materials in an appropriate radioactive waste container.
- Take a wipe smear survey of the area to be sure it is clean. If it is twice background, repeat cleaning process.
- Record all wipe smear results in the laboratory’s Radiation Safety Survey Log.
Radiation Safety Handbook Appendix F – Decontamination Procedures
This Environmental Health & Safety guideline documentation is intended for researchers working with radiation.
Revised as of October 1, 2010