Environmental Health & Safety

University of Colorado Boulder


Procedures for Work-Related Injuries or Illness, Including Animal Bites, Severe Allergic Symptoms, and Sharps Exposures

This Environmental Health & Safety guideline documentation is intended for researchers and laboratory personnel.

Revised as of November 1, 2017

Your employer has workers’ compensation coverage for employees through:
University Risk Management
1800 Grant Street, Suite 700 Denver, CO 80203 Campus Box 014 UCA
t 303-860-5682 t 888-812-9601 f 303-860-5680 https://www.cu.edu/risk/

Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance coverage that employers must provide to their employees. The cost of workers’ compensation insurance is paid entirely by the employer and may not be deducted from an employee’s wages.

If you are injured or sustain an occupational disease while at work, you may be entitled to compensation benefits as provided by law. WRITTEN NOTICE MUST BE GIVEN TO YOUR EMPLOYER WITHIN 4 WORKING DAYS OF THE ACCIDENT. If you don’t report your injury or occupational disease promptly your benefits may be reduced.

If you are unable to work as the result of a work-related injury or occupational disease, compensation (wage replacement) benefits will be based on 2/3 of your average weekly wage up to a maximum set by law. No compensation is payable for the first 3 days’ disability unless the period of disability exceeds two weeks.

You are entitled to reasonable and necessary medical treatment of compensable injuries or occupational diseases. If you notify your employer of an injury or occupational disease and are not offered medical care, you may select the services of a licensed physician or chiropractor.

You may file a Worker’s Claim for Compensation with the Division of Workers’ Compensation. To obtain forms or information regarding the workers’ compensation system, you may call Customer Service at 303-318-8700, or visit our website at: www.coworkforce.com/dwc/.

 Colorado Division of Workers’ Compensation
 633 17TH Street, Suite 400, Denver, CO 80202-3626

Any information provided below comes from your employer and is specific to this place of employment:

In case of emergency, CALL 911 or go to the closest urgent care facility or medical emergency room.

If you are injured after hours, while traveling, or far from a DMP, go to the nearest closest urgent care facility or medical emergency room, then contact University Risk Management at 303-860-5682 or 888-812-9601 for further instructions.

For non-emergencies or for follow up care, you must be treated at a university Designated Medical Provider. Please refer to the following DMP’s with facilities in the vicinity of your location:

North Metro Denver and Boulder

Lori Long, MD 1690 30th Street Boulder, CO 80301

Terrell Webb MD 205 S. Main Street, Suite C Longmont, CO 80501

Felix Meza, MD 3300 28th Street Boulder, CO 80301

U.S. HealthWorks www.ushealthworks.com
1690 30th Street
Boulder, CO 80301

290 Nickel Street, Suite 200
Broomfield, CO 80020

Peak Form Medical Clinic www.peakformpt.com
805 S. Broadway #201
Boulder, CO 80305

Workwell Occupational Medicine www.workwelloccmed.com
205 S. Main Street, Suite C
Longmont, CO 80501

Centura Centers for Occupational Medicine (CCOM) www.ccomcolorado.org
7233 Church Ranch Blvd
Westminster, CO 80021

Concentra Medical Centers www.concentra.com
3300 28th Street
Boulder, CO 80301


University Risk Management, not your health insurance, is responsible for payment of services related to an on-the job injury. Send any workers’ compensation related bills you receive from an authorized medical provider to URM.